Sexual health is important because it’s intertwined with physical, mental, emotional, and social health. Achieving good sexual health is about being well informed, careful, and respectful to yourself and others. It’s about how you see yourself, your ability to enjoy your sexuality, and taking control of your actions and choices.
Here are steps you can take for good sexual health:
- Value yourself and decide what’s right for you. It is up to you to decide if, and when, you want to have sex.
- Take care of your body and protect it. Explore ways to express yourself sexually, and protect yourself from STIs and unplanned pregnancies. Also, Kegel exercises for both men and women can improve sexual fitness.
- Build and maintain a positive relationship with your partner. Respect and open and honest conversations are key. Also, engaging in kissing and cuddling is essential for maintaining an emotional and physical bond. Furthermore, you and your partner should have healthy boundaries.
- Educate yourself. Plenty of materials are available on the Internet or at your local bookstore.
- Practice touching. Touching can help you re-establish physical intimacy without feeling pressured.
- Try to relax. If possible, do something soothing together before having sex.
- Make sexual health part of your health care routine. Find an ObGyn provider who makes you feel comfortable. Your physician can often determine the cause of sexual problems and may be able to identify effective treatments.
How Often Do Couples Have Sex?
Researchers identified the average amount of times people have sex each week and year. However, it’s important to remember that the specific number is often different from person to person. One study says that American adults tend to have sex about once a week. But the number varies widely based on age. Those in their twenties had sex 80 times each year, on average. Whereas those in their 60s had sex just 20 times per year, on average. And that’s quite a difference.
The Benefits of Weekly Sex
Having sex once a week is correlated with increased happiness, according to a study that surveyed over 30,000 people over 40 years. Interestingly, couples who had sex more often weren’t necessarily any happier than those who had sex once each week.
In other studies, sex has been linked to physical and mental health benefits. These benefits include a slimmer waistline and hips, lower rates of depression, and improved cardiovascular function.
Aside from being driven by the physical and mental benefits, you also want to make sure your sex life is leaving you and your partner feeling both comfortable and fulfilled. The Mayo Clinic points out that developing a fulfilling sex life doesn’t just appear out of nowhere. Instead, this is something you need to actively work on through communicating with your partner and reflecting on your own needs. To have these conversations with your partner, you’ll want to consider discussing topics like:
- How you experience pleasure and desire
- Your schedules
- Whether your sex life has become too routine or predictable
- Your needs
- How you can achieve increased intimacy
- Anything else you’re concerned about
If you would like to meet with a knowledgeable doctor, consider contacting Women’s Health Arizona. As Arizona’s largest ObGyn group, we’re trained and solely dedicated to delivering the best ObGyn experience in convenient and comfortable settings around Phoenix.